The world-renowned chef Thomas Keller once said that “A recipe has no soul. You as the cook must bring soul to the recipe.” This is the only reason why one should never stop experimenting with food. When you see the same old monotonous things are followed, you get bored – right? The same thing applies to food also. The same old recipe or way of cooking cannot bring any thrill to the table. To break away the conventional types, here the recipe for orange fish would be covered today.
The year 2017 witnessed a heart-warming or soul-stirring movie named “Machher Jhol” which was all about the relationship between a chef and his mom. On his return to his homeland after 13 years, he is challenged by his ailing mom to cook the same fish curry he cooked as a teen. In this quest, he discovers a new recipe and in fact reinvent himself.
This unique Orange Fish recipe was shared in this movie and became quite popular among those who are open to experience experimental food recipes.
Fish, in general, carry a pungent smell but once deep-fried and cooked with other spices – there is nothing tastier than that! This combination of Orange and Fish sounds really weird – but that’s what romantic about this recipe which you must try once!
Rohu/Katla (Carp): 4-5 pieces
Ginger: 1 inch grated or 1 and a half tsp paste
Green Chilies: 5-6
Salt: As per taste
Turmeric Powder: 1 Tsp
Red Chili Powder: 1 Tsp
Cumin Powder: 1 Tsp
Coriander Powder: 1 Tsp
Sugar: As per taste
Tomatoes (Chopped): 1 Big
Garam Masala Powder: 1 Tsp
Water: 1 cup
Orange Juice: 2 Cups
Mustard Oil: 9-10 Tsp
- First of all, clean the fish very well, remove the skin and any blood stains.
- Let them dry a bit and then sprinkle salt and turmeric 1tsp each. Let the fish marinate for at least half an hour.
- Heat mustard oil in a wok and fry the fishes very well. Remember to make them golden brown but not red.
- In a separate pan, heat some oil and add ginger in grated or paste form. You have to keep frying this ginger until the raw smell goes away.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes to this preparation which will bring the required color.
- Now, you have to add the turmeric, chili, cumin, and coriander powder and stir for a few minutes.
- Let the tomatoes become soft. But keep stirring so that the mixture doesn’t stick to the pan or get burnt.
- Pour a cup of water to this mixture and boil for 5 minutes.
- Add the sugar and salt as per your taste and boil for 2 minutes.
- Now, put in the golden fried pieces of fish and cover the pan with a lid.
- Let it simmer for some time (7-9 minutes) till the spices enter every inch of the fish.
- Keep checking in between and add water to maintain the consistency.
- Once the fish is cooked well, it’s time to add the fresh orange juice.
- Put the slit green chilies and garam masala powder to the gravy and simmer for hardly 3 minutes.
- Remember once you have added the fresh orange juice, you cannot simmer for a long time as that would deviate the taste.
- Garnish with some curry leaves and slices of orange.
- The fish is now ready to be served with some hot rice.
A plate of rice with simply stunning orange fish is equal to bliss. Try it sometime and don’t forget to share the recipe with your friends or relatives.