They say Bollywood movies are too much overly dramatic. That isn’t entirely true! Bollywood movies do have drama and masala but, that is what makes them different. You might not agree but, you do take guilty pleasure of watching regulars like Sooryavansham & No Entry repeatedly! You don’t really have to lie here because we all do watch these movies. Why do we watch these masala movies anyway? Because after a busy day of brainstorming, we wish to mitigate the tension in our brains and watch something to relax. We often miss out on some really good movies because of this. Here is a list of must-watch Underrated Bollywood Movies:
15 Park Avenue (2005)
A hauntingly beautiful movie by Aparna Sen, this movie is a must watch! It is about a Schizophrenic journalist Mithi played by Konkana Sen, who lives with her sister Anjali played by Shabana Azmi & Her Mother played by Waheeda Rehman. Mithi is shown as an ex-journalist who was raped & suffers from Schizophrenia.
Major Reasons to Watch:
- Konkana Sen’s portrayal of Mithi is breathtakingly beautiful. She left no stone unturned
- Rahul Bose is in the movie, and let’s just say he looks like a piece of cake.
- It covers major issues like rape & how women in India are treated.
- It is an attempt to educate people about mental disorders like Schizophrenia and how people dealing are treated differently.
- The movie ends with an open ending and opens the door for so many possibilities.
One should definitely watch this movie and, maybe you add another theory to all the internet theories about the movie ending.
Margarita With A Straw (2015)
An impressive movie by Shonali Bose, Margarita with a Straw revolves around Laila, played by Kalki Koechlin. Laila suffering from cerebral palsy and yet has the courage to live in New York all by herself. She is on a journey of self-discovery and explores her sexuality. She is steadily supported by her mother, played by Revathi. This movie embraces some really interesting insights about exploring one’s sexuality and suffering from a disability in India.
Major Reasons to Watch:
- The movie does not apologize for Disability.
- Kalki Koechlin played the role like a pro. You can not tell if she’s acting or it’s all real.
- Love it how Laila’s parents respect her decision to move to New York and don’t go all overprotective.
- The movie is not just limited to disability but exploring sexuality. While Bollywood still uses it as an element of humor, Shonali Bose illustrated the actual side of the story.
- The movie is also about a strong mother-daughter bond. A bond so strong that you wouldn’t be able to resist crying.
- Self Love, Self Acceptance, & Self Discovery!
You must watch this movie! Margarita with a Straw is a truly impeccable movie and will leave you teary-eyed.
Qarib Qarib Singlle (2017)
Directed by Tanuja Chandra, Qarib Qarib Singlle has a really unique storyline. It is a contemporary love story between two opposites who meet on an online dating platform. Jaya played by Parvathy meets Yogi played by Irrfan Khan. They embark a journey to the past and end up falling for each other.
Major Reasons to Watch
- The movie portrays Jaya as the confident next door girl who has a successful career and does not need a man to complete her. She lives the way she wishes to! Ladies, isn’t she the goals?
- It shows us a new side of online dating. The only thing we know about online dating is swiping left & right for hookups. After watching this movie you realize that if you are willing to know someone, you can actually meet someone really interesting.
- Watching this movie you realize how important it is to live in the present. There is a thin line between having memories from the past & living in the past. If you wish to find happiness, you need to let go of the past.
- Age is no bar when it comes to dating! Everyone with a peanut size brain out there, don’t start with your haaaaaawwwws when you come across someone dating and getting to know that they have crossed the marriageable age prescribed by “Chaar Log” or “Samaaj”(Society!)
It wasn’t a hit but I wonder why? Oh, wait, because the notion of dating is unapproved in India!
Angry Indian Goddess (2015)
India needed this movie! Although it wasn’t really appreciated by the audience and was highly underrated, it was definitely an eye-opener! Directed by Pan Nalin, this movie shows the strong side of female friendship and their struggle to be heard in this male dominant society.
Major Reasons to Watch:
- Frieda, played by Sarah-Jane Dias, the character was calm all the time, looking at her you will get to know how one should stay calm and get things done! Even if it is against the rules of society
- Nargis, played by Tannishtha Chatterjee! Well, her character in the movie tells us how one can take small initiatives in their life to make the world a better place.
- Madhurita, played by Anushka Manchanda taught us how to deal with depression like a “BAWSE”. You’ll learn how it is absolutely fine to feel like giving up!
- Suranjana, played by Sandhya Mridul! She is one badass boss lady who teaches us that there is nothing a woman can’t do.
- Pammy, played by Pavleen Gujral teaches us that is life is not all about making your husband happy.
- Joanna, played by Amrit Maghera was a delight to watch! An aspiring actress who did not fear anything!
- Lakshmi, played by Rajashri Deshpande is definitely my spirit animal! This character teaches us how a furious woman can turn your world upside down.
- Aren’t all these women your favorites already?
- Oh yes, there is another reason, the amazing music! My favorite is “Zindagi”!
This movie is about fighting stereotypes & taking a stand for people around us! The movie didn’t reach many people because hawww, ye ladkiya toh Goa me party kar rahi h, kitni besharam h kind of mentality! Ps. If you have a peanut sized brain, do not watch this movie!’
Finding Fanny (2014)
Starring actors like Dimple Kapadia, Naseeruddin Shah, Deepika Padukone, Arjun Kapoor & Pankaj Kapoor, one would expect this movie to not be a hit! All these big Bollywood names were associated with this movie, it still did not get the recognition it should have. The movie is about 5 people living in Pocolim, a small village in Goa, Namely- Ferdie, Angie, Don Pedro, Savio, & Lady Rosalina on a long road trying to find Fanny. Fanny is Ferdie’s lost love and, he has been in love with her for 46 years!
Major Reasons to Watch:
- It illustrates how every good deed one does has a selfish motive behind it.
- While Ferdie’s friends accompanied him to find the love of his life, they actually were trying to find hope in their own life!
- How India forbids widows to live their lives. No matter what part of the country you live in, it absolutely wrong to think about an amorous relationship for a young lady if she is a widow.
- It is a story of self-discovery! How one may think that they know themselves and later on discover things they have been ignorant about.
- Acceptance! We often forget to accept things about ourselves. We learn that true happiness is when one accepts their own flaws.
Finding Fanny is more like a play wherein you lose yourself. It is mesmerizing if you are willing to watch it with an open mind. It is a relatable quest of finding happiness!
So, you know what you’re doing this weekend! Some of these beautiful movies go unnoticed, and then we may find ourselves complaining that Bollywood movies make no sense, yet find ourselves binge-watching these futile movies, over and again!