“‘Cause baby now we got bad blood!”
We have friends, then there are good friends, best friends, special friends and there are friends who disguise as good ones but in reality, are toxic! One needs to be careful of the latter category. They are toxic and drain the energy out of you. Those friends are the ones Taylor is talking about in Bad Blood!
Who is a Toxic Friend?
A toxic friend is anyone who is a hurdle in your personal growth. Whenever they enter the room, they bring negative energy with them. Such friends affect your mental health which is why it is very important to identify such friends and get rid of them! Below are the signs of a toxic friend:
- They try to control your life: Toxic people love controlling people around them. This makes them feel empowered!
- Put you down constantly: They are always going to make you feel like you are less than they are. They are always going to make you feel like your dreams and, your perspective do not matter.
- Isolation: They may try to stop you from making other friends or maybe even control your spending time with other people. They want all your attention!
- Humiliation: Just to make themselves feel better, they may try to humiliate you in public by making fun of you.
- Blame Game: They are always the victim! To them, everyone has wronged them in some way or the other. Whenever things go wrong, they will blame everyone around them, but never admit if it’s their mistake!
- Inconsistent Personality: Everyone has mood swings! But this one friend would change their mood every second. They’ll be happy and after seconds, they’ll be angry. This can stress you out!
- Pessimistic: They are cynical about everything! Every good thing you tell them, they will find a flaw in it.
- Inconsiderate: They are inconsiderate towards your feelings. They wouldn’t think about your emotions before they speak!
- They are Resentful: If they feel you have wronged them, they will feel no shame in taunting you every second.
- Judgmental: This one trait is the most prominent one. No matter what you tell your toxic friend, they are going to judge you.
- Bad Listeners: Your toxic friend is always talking about themselves. They would never want to listen!
- They may Gossip: They are gossipy and may even gossip about you behind your back!
- Drama: They love drama and will do anything to make things about themselves.
- Needy & Clingy: Your toxic friend will only come around when they need something. They will depend on you for emotional support to the extent where they’ll drain out your energy!
- Attention Seekers: They always want to be the one in the spotlight! They may do and say things if they aren’t getting enough attention.
- Jealousy: Whenever you achieve something, they will be jealous and will try to belittle your achievements.
- Compare & Compete: Anything you buy or experience, they end up comparing it to what they have! You will always find them competing with you.
- They always Lie to you: They will never tell you the truth about their dating life, their Friday plans, their problems, or if you ask them for the feedback!
- Make you feel guilty: If you hang out with your other friends without them, they might make you feel guilty about doing it! It won’t matter even if you asked them to join, if they can’t come, they wouldn’t expect you to go either.
Why to get rid of a Toxic Friend?
As they say, toxic people always pollute everything around them! This exactly what a toxic friend does! They will befoul the vicinity around you and will make you feel like you don’t matter. If you stay around them, you might start to feel emotionally drained and unhappy. A toxic friend, putting you down constantly will make you question your own self-worth. Their pessimistic energy might make you feel low all the time. Since a toxic friend is always jealous of you, they will always tell you that your dreams are invalid & unrealistic! Who needs that kind of energy in their life?
A toxic friend will restrict you from doing things, and you may feel compelled to listen to them because there is a constant fear of validation from them. They manipulate your decisions, trying to control your life. Moreover, when you achieve something they wouldn’t be really there to celebrate the occasion but draw all attention towards them. With your toxic friend around, you constantly try to make them happy and honestly, nothing works.
Having a toxic friend definitely effects your mental health! Feeling worthless, always in competition, and stressed out might affect all aspects of your life. You might feel tangled up and complicated all the time. And anyone who doesn’t make your life better but worse, you certainly don’t need them! Anyone who does not have good intentions, you don’t need them in your life! You do not owe anything to anyone.
Rather than squandering your time & energy on a toxic friend, take care of yourself! The very reason to lose that friend is: You need to love yourself!
How to Get Rid of the Dementor- Toxic Friend?
You’ll meet new people, and you’re going to lose some! That is what adulting is about. Since you will eventually lose people, why not lose the dementors & parasites? Here are a few ways to get rid of the toxic friends:
- Set Boundaries- It is said that one can get in your head, only when you let them! You need to start standing up for yourself in front of your friend and let them know that you aren’t comfortable. Since dementors prey on weak, you’d see that your toxic friend will start to disappear because you aren’t giving them the sadistic pleasure of ruling you.
- Be Truthful- Well, if you have the courage to tell them that you don’t want to be around them anymore, go ahead! Be honest with them and let them know.
- Put Yourself First- Your obnoxious friend is used to all the attention you give them, once you start putting yourself first, they wouldn’t really want to hang out with you.
- Make New Friends- When you make new friends, you may spend more time with them. This would make you feel more positive and happy, and there would be no time left for the toxic friend!
- Use the Fade Away Technique- Stop messaging and calling them. Start telling the dementor that you are busy! Every time they try to make a plan, tell them you’re busy. They might eventually take a hint and back off!’
- Ghost Them- Not an ideal way but, it definitely works!
- Start Asking Them for Help- The dementor never likes to help! Every time you ask your friend for help, they will have a reason to back out. When you start asking for help frequently, they will drop you like a bad habit.
- Contradict & Question them- Toxic people love to be right! It is almost like their drug. If you start questioning them and contradicting them, this will drive them away.
- The Tit for Tat Technique- Start acting as they do! This will repulse them away.
It is essential for you to lose the dementor in your life, for your own mental health & peace. Remember, a toxic friend can harm you more than an enemy ever can!