Every part of a banana tree is useful. The most famous part of a banana tree is the fruit which is a popular fruit all across India. In the raw form, the banana chips are famous and the ripe bananas have wonderful health benefits. Bananas are also the cheapest of all fruits which are quite fulfilling. Apart from ripe bananas, do you know that banana flowers are also extremely beneficial to health? In South Asian and Southeast Asian cuisine, the banana flower is used as a vegetable, in fried foods, curries, and in soups. They taste like artichoke and both the fleshy part of the bracts and the heart are edible.
In 100gms of banana flowers, you will find the following:
1.6gms of Protein
1.07mg of Vitamin E
9.9gms of Carbohydrates
13mg of Copper
56mg of Calcium
553.3 mg of Potassium
73.3mg of Phosphorous
48.7mg of Magnesium
56.4mg of Iron
0.6gms of Fat
Banana flower is also known as a banana heart. They help eliminate infections, reduce free radical activity, managing diabetes & anemia, reducing anxiety, boosting mood, and reducing menstrual bleeding.
In Bengali cuisine, banana flower curry is regular in every home. Prepared without onion and garlic, this special Bengali dish is extremely tasty and the preparation requires quite a hard work. The magic of this dish lies in the use of mustard oil, ghee or clarified butter, the play of different textures of banana flower, brown chickpeas, raisins, and coconut.
Check the recipe of banana flower curry or Mochar Ghonto here:
Ingredients You Need:
- Banana Flower or Mocha (Big-sized)- 1
- Potatoes (peeled and cut into cubes)- 2 medium-sized
- De-skinned coconut pieces cut into small cubes or shredded- A handful
- Raisins- handful
- Green Cardamoms- 4
- Cinnamon stick- 1 inch
- Bay Leaf- 1
- Cloves- 5
- Cumin Seeds- 1 tsp
- Dried Red Chilies- 2 (broken into a few pieces)
- Mustard Oil- 10 tsp
- Ginger Paste: ¾ tsp
- Cumin Paste or Powder- 1.5 tsp
- Bengali Garam Masala (powder made from Cinnamon, green cardamoms, and cloves)- 1.5 tsp
- Red Chili Powder- 1 tsp
- Brown Chickpeas Boiled with Salt- Half a small bowl or a handful
- Coconut (freshly scrapped)- 1/4th tsp and keep 1.5 tsp aside for garnishing
- Cow Ghee- 1.5 tsp
- Green Chilies- 5
- Salt- As per taste
- Sugar- 1.25 tsp
- Turmeric Powder: ¾ tsp
How To Prepare Mochar Ghonto or Banana Flower Curry?
- Firstly, the banana flower needs to be cleaned. For that, you need to oil your hands. You need to peel the purple cover and remove the florets. In each floret, you have to remove the longest string with a round head called stamen and the translucent thin cover. Then, you have to chop these florets and soak them in water.
- It is suggested to soak them in water overnight because this peeling and chopping requires a long time.
- Now pressure cook the banana flowers for 2-3 whistles.
- You now need to fry the potatoes with some salt and turmeric powder and then keep them on a plate.
- Then fry the coconut pieces too until they turn golden brown.
- Now in the same oil fry the raisins till they puff up.
- Take some more oil and heat it up. Once the oil releases vapor, you have to reduce the flame and add the bay leaf, cumin seeds, and whole garam masala (cinnamon, green cardamoms, and cloves). Now, wait till the color of these spices changes to light brown.
- Use 3 tsp of water and make a paste of cumin powder, turmeric powder, ginger paste, red chili powder, and salt.
- Add this mixture to the wok and stir continuously.
- When the beautiful aroma of these spices fills up your kitchen after like 2-3 minutes, you need to add the semi-cooked or semi-mashed banana flowers.
- You need to cook this now for 15 minutes on a high flame. Sauté it continuously until the water dries out totally.
- Now you have to add the boiled brown chickpeas, fried potatoes, and freshly grated coconut.
- Then, add the green chilies and cook for 10 minutes on a medium flame and sautéing twice in between.
- Open the lid and sauté continuously. Then add the fried coconut pieces, raisins, sugar and cow ghee followed by Bengali Garam Masala.
- You now have to cook until oil or ghee leaves the sides of the wok or kadhai.
- Spread salt as per your taste and give a nice mix for 2 minutes.
- Now, garnish with freshly grated coconut and ghee.
It tastes like heaven with steamed rice and green chili. So, enjoy this amazing banana flower curry or mochar ghonto and surprise yourself and your loved ones.