Winter is perhaps the best time to eat. Why? Because you get a variety of fresh vegetables as compared to summer and monsoon. Beet or beetroot is one of the easily available vegetables of this season. It contains major nutrients, vitamins, and antioxidants that provide many health benefits. Beetroot consumption helps in lowering the blood pressure, may prevent cancer, provides a supple and glowing complexion, aids in maintaining a healthy weight, provide ample muscle power among people with weak heart, may prevent dementia, etc. Apart from that, beetroot is a great source of potassium, calcium, iron, manganese, magnesium, copper, vitamin C, and folate.
This bulbous root vegetable is generally eaten as a salad or juice or smoothie. But I will let you know about a recipe using beet that will satiate your sweet-cravings this winter. Beetroot kheer is not only tasty but also looks gorgeous and therefore be ready for loads of Instagram likes and comments.
- Beetroot: 2 cup (grated)
- Milk: 1.5 liters
- Ghee or clarified butter: 3 tsp
- Sugar: 1 cup
- Green cardamom powder: 1/2 tsp
- Cashew nuts: 30 gms
- Almonds: 30 gms
- Rosewater- 1.5 tsp
How to make Beetroot Kheer?
- First of all, grate the beetroot and measure 2 cups and keep them aside.
- Now take a saucepan and fill it with 45 cups of water and bring it to boil.
- Add the grated beetroot in it and cover it.
- Let this boil for 5-7 minutes.
- Keep the lid intact for another 2 minutes and now sieve the beetroot.
- Let it cool for some time.
- Take a bowl and squeeze the half-boiled beetroot. You will get the raw reddish-pink color.
- Don’t throw away this juice and save it for later.
- You can throw away the water you used to boil the beetroot.
- Now take a clean and large saucepan or pot and put the ghee in it.
- Let the ghee release its beautiful aroma and then add the beetroot.
- Sauté it well for 3-4 minutes. The beetroot will become softer now.
- Now put the milk in it and give a nice stir for 2 minutes.
- Close the lid and keep the flame low.
- Check after 10 minutes and give another stir.
- It won’t take more than 15-20 minutes to cook.
- Open the lid and check the thickness at this point. If you want a diluted one, then, add some hot water.
- Also, add the sugar and stored juice of beet at this stage. Give a nice mix to this one.
- Now sprinkle the green cardamom powder and give another mix.
- Let all these gather well on the heat for another 2 minutes.
- Add another teaspoon of ghee and rest it for 10 minutes.
- Finally, add the rose water and close the lid to open only before serving
- Add chopped cashews and almonds before serving.
Enjoy this amazing delicacy during your wintertime get-together parties or during the lazy weekend meals.