Chicken is definitely a winter or monsoon time delicacy. But believe me, there is actually no season for hardcore chicken lovers (like me). The rising temperature during summer season doesn’t actually leave with an appetite to enjoy spicy food. During the summer season, it is actually suggested to consume less spicy food because light food is easy to digest and helps in staying fit. So, to give the chicken a summer special touch, here is my special lemon pepper chicken. Lemon makes the chicken tender and adds a nice smell. Pepper is any day a better option than red chili powder. It provides a healthy heart, promotes a good digestive tract, and mitigates migraine.
Believe me, chicken also loves these two items and you will know that when you will have a piece of this chicken in your mouth.
What All You Need?
- Chicken: 500 gms
- Garlic (peeled and finely chopped): 25-30 cloves
- Onion Paste: 5 tsp
- Lemon Juice: 6-7 tsp
- Cumin Seeds: 2 tsp
- Salt: As per taste. But during marinade use 2 tsp
- Black Pepper (Crushed): 7 tsp (you may reduce it in case you need it less spicy)
- Coriander Leaves (finely chopped): 2 tsp
- Butter: 4 tsp
- Youghurt: ½ cup
- Milk: ½ cup
- Hot water: As required.
How To Marinade?
- To marinade firstly, clean the chicken pieces well and pat them dry.
- Make some cuts on the chicken so that the pieces soak spices during marination.
- Now in a large mixing bowl mix 2 tsp of butter, 4 tsp of black pepper powder, 2 tsp of salt, 5 tsp of onion paste, 6 tsp of lemon juice, and half the peeled and chopped garlic. Make sure each and every ingredient should mix very well.
- Now put the chicken pieces in this aromatic mix and coat the chicken nicely.
- Keep this large bowl covered inside your refrigerator for a minimum of 1 hour and a maximum of 4 hours.
Tip: The more your marinade this chicken recipe, the softer, juicier, and tastier your chicken would be.
How To Cook Lemon Pepper Chicken?
- First of all, take out the chicken from the refrigerator and keep it in room temperature for a while.
- Now, take a clean wok and put the remaining 2 tsp of butter in it.
- Put 2 tsp of cumin seeds and let it crackle.
- Now put the rest half of the peeled and chopped garlic and stir well.
- Whisk the yoghurt and milk well in the meantime.
- Once the garlic turns golden brown, put the pieces of chicken. Take care of the excess juices (they should not drop in your wok)
- Stir the chicken for 5 minutes. Put the lid on and let it cook itself for another 5 minutes.
- Now take the yoghurt and milk mix and pour it.
- Meanwhile, keep the hot water ready too.
- Let the yoghurt and milk mix in the chicken very well. Put the lip on and let it boil for 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid and pour the remaining 3 tsp of black pepper powder and coriander leaves.
- Give a nice mix and pour some hot water as per your requirement.
- Check the salt and cover with the lid and let the whole chicken mix for another 10 minutes.
- Open the lid, taste it once.
- You may now garnish with a dash of cream and another spoon or two of lemon juice.
Serve with cumin rice or roti or paratha and don’t forget to let me know if you liked this recipe or not!
Chicken is the supreme non-vegetarian food enjoyed by many people across the world. Each culture and country have a traditional way of preparing chicken with their kind of favorite spices and methods. India is a vibrant nation and I guess every state comes up with its unique chicken preparation. For example, Butter Chicken is Delhi’s favorite while Kosha Mangsho is Kolkata’s signature. Inspired by many chicken dishes, I never stop experimenting a bit in my kitchen. So, during the last get-together with close friends, I prepared this “Lemon Garlic Creamy Chicken” and the results were outstanding. This chicken dish is delicious, juicy, creamy, and full of flavors. I didn’t use any ginger for this preparation and the result is still amazing.
Take a look at the process of Lemon Garlic Creamy Chicken and enjoy with your pals.
Step 1: For Marinade:
Chicken: 1 Kg
Salt: 2 Tsp
Lemon: 3 if big and 4 if small
Black Pepper: 5 Tsp
Oregano: 3 Tsp
- Bring the chicken and wash it very well.
- Now, squeeze the lemons and keep it aside.
- Take a big bowl and place the washed chicken pieces followed by lemon juice. Massage the lemon juice nicely on the chicken pieces.
- Now sprinkle all the dry ingredients – salt, black pepper, & oregano.
- Spread them well and keep the chicken in refrigerator for minimum 30 minutes and maximum 2 hours.
Step 2: Fry The Chicken
Oil – 3-4 Tsp
Butter – 2 Tsp
Garlic – 10-12 Finely Chopped
- Take out the chicken from the refrigerator and allow it to stand the room temperature for like 20 minutes.
- Heat some oil and butter in the frying pan.
- Sprinkle some salt on it and some garlic.
- Fry the chicken in a batch of 4-5 pieces.
- Make sure that you put few finely chopped garlic cloves, every time you put the fresh batch of chicken to fry.
- The fried chicken should have a golden brown color and prick the chicken to check its softness. While frying the chicken, your chicken should be 80% cooked.
Tip To Remember: The basic reason for frying the chicken is to enhance the taste. Frying the chicken before preparing the gravy adds crunchiness to the chicken pieces, makes them softer, and easier to digest. So, never forget this step of frying chicken well before going for the gravy process.
Step 3: For Gravy
Onion – 3 to 4 large
Garlic – 30 cloves
Butter – 20 grams
Cooking Oil – 4-5 Tsp
Fennel Seeds – ½ Tsp
Cumin Seeds – 1 Tsp
Salt – As Per Taste
Sugar – Just About a Pinch
Cumin Powder – 2 Tsp
Coriander Powder – 1 Tsp
Cashew Nuts – 10-12 Pieces
Milk – 3 Cups
Yoghurt – ½ Cup
Green Chilies – 5/6 Pieces
Black Pepper – 5-6 Tsp
Gravy Making Process:
- Make a paste of the cashew nuts with water and keep it aside.
- Take one onion and prepare a paste with the green chilies with a spoon of curd and 1 spoon of water in it.
- Longitudinally slice rest of the onions.
- Peel the garlic cloves and finely chop them.
- Whisk the ½ cup of curd very well so that there are no lumps at all.
- Take a clean wok or kadhai and put the oil followed by butter.
- Once the oil+butter heat up, add the fennel seeds followed by cumin seeds. Let them crackle and then put the sliced onions.
- Fry the onions for 3-4 minutes and then add the chopped garlic cloves and keep the flame on medium.’
- Keep on stirring every now and then for 5-6 minutes so that the onion and garlic don’t stick to the bottom.
- Take the cumin powder and coriander powder in a bowl and mix in 3-4 spoons of water or as much as required. Now pour this in the fried onion & garlic.
- Let the spice mix well with onion & garlic.
- Now add the onion paste and close the lid for 2 minutes.
- Once the onion paste has left the raw smell, add the whisked curd & cashew nut paste and stir very well so that everything mixes properly.
- Put the instructed amount of black pepper at this stage and let this mixture boil for about 3-4 minutes.
- Now pour the milk and give a nice stir.
- See the consistency and you can add some water because once the whole mix cools down, it will thicken more.
- After adding the milk let the mix boil for 5 minutes and then add the fried chicken pieces in it.
- Pour some water and close the lid for 7 minutes so that the chicken pieces soak the amazing spices well.
Step 4: Garnishing & Presentation
Coriander Leaves – 3 Tsp Finely chopped
Cream – About 6-7 Tsp (for whole 1 Kg)
- Slit Green Chilies – 4 or 5 (or more depending on taste)
- Once the chicken is cooked, divide it in separate bowls depending on the number of people to be served.
- Now, garnish every chicken bowl well.
- Sprinkle the coriander leaves and green chilies first followed by cream.
Enjoy this tasty chicken with paratha, roti, or any preparation of rice.