India is a vast landmass and it is often called the “land of diversity”. This huge piece of land located between the Indian Ocean, Arabian Sea, and The Bay of Bengal is also the 7th largest country of the world in terms of area. The diversity is noted in all departments from culture to food, or language to religion. There are hills and mountains in the North, coastal regions in the South, desert in the West, and a mix of both mountain and sea in the East of India. So, basically, if any fellow Indian or an outsider is planning to travel to India, then he/she is going to have a memorable time. Apart from the 29 states, India also has 7 Union Territories that are unique in their own way. Boasting some of the impeccable locations, architectures, and greenery, these Union Territories are the pride of the nation.
Have a look at some of the major attractions of the Union Territories of India.
Andaman & Nicobar Island
For a moment, you may feel like, you are in some foreign land, playing with the blue or green water and getting suntanned lying on the pristine white sand. The enthralling marine life and heart-warming greenery make Andaman & Nicobar Island a unique place to spend your holidays. As the island lies quite far from mainland India, thus, it has retained its beauty till now. This place is loved by tourists but often less traveled.
Attractions of Andaman & Nicobar Islands
- Radhanagar Beach- often said to be the most beautiful beach in Asia.
- The largest sea turtles are also found here. 3 species of marine turtles – Hawksbill, Green turtle and the Leatherback (Dermochelys Coriacea- world’s largest sea turtle) are found here.
- North Sentinel Island here is the home to one of the most isolated Paleolithic tribes of the world
- The famous Cellular Jail was established in the British era to seclude the prisoners from the outer world. The prisoners were given harsh treatment which is shown in the light and sound show in the evening.
- Baratang is the place of Mud Volcanoes while Barren Island is the only active volcano in India and they belong to Andamans.
This is a conglomerate of 39 islands in the Arabian Sea. The amazing beaches, dense forests, and palm-lined coastline offer just the perfect kind of view to this place. Aquamarine life and water sports activities are also rampant here.
Attractions of Lakshadweep Islands
- People love the scuba diving in Kalpeni Island of this place that has 100 species of coral and more than 2,000 species of fishes.
- There is a lighthouse in Minicoy Islands which is crescent-shaped and 300 feet tall.
- The water is crystal clear and turquoise in color. The close competition is the Maldives. Canoeing is one of the most favorite activities here. You may see turtles, corals, and fishes.
- The endless blue lagoons across Kadamat Island is a major attraction for the photographers.
The national capital actually needs to introduction. With a history of centuries running in its nerves, New Delhi is a place where you would experience an old world charm along with all the modern signs of advancement. From the Sultans to Mughals, to the Britishers – history of many struggles is written on the walls of Delhi.
Attractions of New Delhi
- The beautiful architecture of the Mughal period evident through the majestic Jama Masjid and the Red Fort are one of the most visited places in India. When you hear the Azaan from the Jama Masjid, the rays of positivity enter your system.
- The Lotus Temple or the Bahai’s temple is another milestone in the history of architecture. White concrete and marble are used to build this extraordinary piece of art which has nine sides. These 9 sides have a pool of water and it seems like a blooming lotus amidst the pool. But the most notable feature is that- people of any religion or belief can come, sit, and meditate here for long hours!
- In the memory of the 90,000 soldiers who died in the 1st World War, Pt. Nehru build India Gate in Delhi and it resembles the Arc de Triomphe of Paris.
- Akshardham temple – the largest Hindu temple in the world, Humayun Tomb, Gandhi Smriti, The Jantar Mantar, etc. are some of the other notable attractions of New Delhi.
Apart from being one of the Union Territories, Chandigarh is also the capital of two states – Punjab & Haryana. It is also a planned city whose architecture and urban designs are examples for the rest of the country. This city draws its name from the temple of Goddess Chandi.
Attractions of Chandigarh
- Open Hand Monument in the Capitol Complex of Chandigarh is the major attraction of this city. This metal structure was designed by architect Le Corbusier.
- Being the nest to many migratory birds, Sukhna Lake is very famous.
- Rock Garden – everything in this famous garden is built from household and industrial wastes.
- Pinjore Gardens built at the foothills of the Himalayas was built by the Mughals.
Daman and Diu
Daman & Diu is a tiny land that is famous for its awesome beaches and a culture that is half Indian and half Portuguese. Portuguese people have ruled over Daman & Diu for more than 450 years and that’s why the culture has a foreign feel to it. Daman and Diu lie in West India and consists of 2 separate areas divided by the Arabian Sea. The Daman Ganga River flows through the coastal town of Daman.
Attractions of Daman and Diu
- Fort Jerome is very famous and it was built to overlook the activities on the sea. The prime attraction of this fort is the Church of Our Lady of the sea which is a great example of Portuguese architecture. Now, a part of the church is a school.
- Zampa Gateway is the next attraction that marks the entry to Diu island. The carvings on the walls of the Gateway is remarkable.
- Jampore Beach, Nagoa Beach, and Devka Beach are the most famous beaches here which you should not miss at all.
Dadra and Nagar Haveli
Dadra lies a few kilometers to the North of Gujarat while Nagar Haveli lies in between Gujarat & Maharashtra. Till late 18th century or to be precise till 1780, the Marathas ruled this region but the Portuguese came and captured this land. They continued to rule here for 150 years. So, you would definitely find the imprints of Portuguese culture in the air of Dadra & Nagar Haveli.
Attractions of Dadra and Nagar Haveli
- Dudhni Lake is very famous for the romantic boat rides especially in the evening where it is pleasing to see the sunset.
- Covering 20 hectares of land lies the Vasona Lion Safari which simply cannot be missed.
- Nakshatra Garden is quite an unusual garden because you would get to see the greenery and flowers representing zodiac signs. It also has an Ayurvedic park.
Once the French people lived here and their legacy continues to remain here. Located on the Coromandel Coast of the Bay of Bengal, Pondicherry or Puducherry proudly flaunts the beautiful French architecture. The culture, food, and lifestyle are really un-Indian in many ways and you would feel that when you go there.
Attractions of Puducherry
- If you want peace and serenity or have a spiritual way of thinking then Shri Aurobindo Ashram is a must visit for you. People from across the world come here to find their peace.
- Auroville is the most progressive town in the world. Why? Because it is an experimental community in South India where people from all over the world are welcome without any gender or religion bias. The focus is human unity and it was founded by Mirra Alfassa in 1968.
- Gingee Fort, Paradise Beach, Promenade Beach and Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Jesus are some other mind-blowing places here.